Monday, July 17, 2006

Against All Odds: Postal Update


Things are looking up at the post office! The government must have kicked down some cash, because when I went to rent my post office box yesterday, the place was abuzz with construction and renovation: new paint, welding on the front gate, new light fixtures, and new hardwood cubicles for the workers. (See pic.) The process of renting a PO Box was a little slow, and the postal worker kid made my change out of his own pocket. Worse, the whole bureaucratic apparatus of the post office, including the ledger books showing whose box is whose, all the receipts, all the records of all financial transactions, are sitting in a box on the counter within arm's reach of anyone who might care to steal it.

But I have faith that this is going to work! And hey, the box only cost me $750 LD for life, or about 9 bucks.



Cheese Shop moment:

PO: “What size box do you want?”

LL: “I don’t know. Umm, small?”

PO: “We don’t have small.”

LL: “What sizes do you have?”

PO: “Medium”

LL: “I guess I will take a medium one.”

Confound the cynics! Send us a letter!

Joshua Chaffin
18th Street
, Sinkor
PO Box 899
Monrovia, Liberia
WEST AFRICA

2 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

Josh--I'm sending you a piece of gum and a short note tomorrow (July 19)...curious to see if/when it arrives. The optimistic USPS says 4-7 days. Too bad there's no guarantee...but I guess that's what the $68.50 Global Express Guaranteed Document Service could offer... but that just guarantees delivery but not by a certain date.

Keep up the great reporting.

Joy

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the post office were owned by Starbucks that'd be a size Grande.

-chrisf

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home